Zarif: Iranians not surprised by terror attacks
Tehran, March 15, IRNA - Iranian foreign minister in a message referred to Iranians' awareness of the consequences of bigotry and hatred, saying they are not surprised by terrorist attacks.
'Iranians are deeply shocked and saddened by Christchurch terror today. But we're not surprised,' Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted on Friday.
He added 'Banned from travel to the US, and not allowed to abide by our faith if attending French schools, we Iranians know too well what bigotry and hatred of Islam augur.'
At least 49 people have been killed so far, and 50 seriously injured, after gunmen opened fire at two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch on Friday when hundreds of Muslims had gathered to say their prayers.
Earlier Iran Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qasemi said any terrorist act, anywhere in the world, carried out by anybody under any motive, must be condemned by all the countries.
Meanwhile, earlier Zarif in a separate Twitter message said 'Impunity in Western 'democracies' to promote bigotry leads to this: -Israeli thugs enter mosque in Palestine to insult Muslims; -Terrorists in NZ livestream their murder of 49 Muslims, Western hypocrisy of defending demonization of Muslims as 'freedom of expression' MUST end.'
In addition to Iran, the United Nations Secretary General António Guterres, EU Foreign Policy chief Federica Mogherini, Iraq, Jordan, Bahrain, Qatar and Turkey have so far slammed the deadly incident and expressed sympathy with victims of the sad occasion.